Summary Of MB Performance In Egyptian Parliament Since 2005
|Monday, August 14,2006 00:00|
|By Maamon Ahmad, Ikhwanweb|
88 MB candidates, who were running for the parliamentary elections in November– December 2005, won- by virtue of Allah- after three violent electoral terms (6 rounds). This election witnessed blatant security interference and violations trying to hinder MB candidates from winning the elections. "If it were not for the security interference in elections, MB candidates would win extra 40 seats", the Egyptian Prime Minister, Ahmad Nazeif declared directly after his visit to
From the beginning of the first session of the ninth term, the majority, represented by members of National Democratic Party (NDP) and the independent members who joined them to be 316 members, tried by all means to break the will of other members represented in the 88 members of MB, 12 of opposition parties (al Wafd, al Tajmu’, Alkaramah- under institution) and 16 independents. The government, in the procedures’ sessions (choosing agencies and forming committees), tended to ignore all the members who are not of the NDP and refused to allow a relative representation from all the parties, except for MP Akram al- Sha’ir who assumed the position of deputy of the Health Committee. The MB’s bloc has variety of specialties (see the classification table) that enabled them to participate in all 19 committees of the parliament, and to stand out among other members, whether in the general sessions or sessions of the committees, during which they showed a high level of interest.
MB parliamentary bloc classification
First: The Quantitative Assessment:
The council held 121 sessions during this term, the MB Bloc attended almost all the sessions, and the absence of the bloc for the general session amounted from 1-2 session to each member- due to emergency circumstances of the member or being abroad- which resulted in:
A- The majority, represented by NDP, tried to attend all sessions during discussion of the draft laws and international conventions that the government wanted them to pass. The Speaker of the council repeatedly urged the majority to assemble and attend, especially during voting. He put the responsibility on their shoulders if any law went against their will due to being absent.
B- The opposition, especially MB’s bloc, managed to be the majority in most of the sessions, particularly when they discussed the draft laws of: (consumer protection - Establishing the national agency for credit and guarantee of quality- Decreasing the fees posed on the licenses of building)
MB’s bloc, consistent with the opposition and independent members, recorded three secessions from the general sessions. First: To reject the insult of the Speaker to MP Mustafa Mohammad Mustafa and his refusal to let Mustafa speak according to the law and parliamentary norms. Second: To object on the emergency law as for the coming 2 years. Third: To refuse the insult of the Speaker to the judges and charging them with retarded thoughts.
MB’s bloc participated in all the qualitative and joint committees that held 1149 meetings and presented 775 statements considered by the parliament. The bloc also was keen on presenting their thoughts and opinions about reform through the meetings and statements of the committees.
The Speaker of the council praised, in his final speech of the first term, all the independent members (nonpartisan) including the 88 members of MB, all the MBs actively participated by 2106 interpositions out of 2478 that belonged to the independents and MB’s bloc.
2-The legislative performance:
Bloc’s members presented 38 draft laws and proposals out of 33 draft laws and 94 proposals discussed by the council; the following are the most important draft laws:
* The judicial authority- D. Sa’d Alkatatni and Sobhi Saleh.
* Al- Azhar- Ali Laban.
* Electing Sheikh Al- Azhar- Ali Laban.
* Amending the code of procedure- Hussein Ibrahim.
* Establishing a syndicate for peasants- Ali Laban.
* Electing head and members of teachers’ syndicate from the general assembly’- Ali Laban.
* Restoring all the endowments of Al- Azhar- Ali Laban.
* Reforming the judicial authority- Ali Laban.
* Dentistry- Dr. Hazem Farouk
* Nullifying the detention pending investigation- Hussein Mohamed.
* Organizing the political parties- Hussein Mohamed.
* Organizing the judicial experience- Ahmad Abu Barakah.
* Qualifying the incapacitated- Ahmad Abu Baraka.
* Anti- detention of the journalists- Mohsen Rady.
* Amending the garbage fees- Sa’d al- Husseini and Mohammad kosba.
* Increasing the minimum rate of social insurance pension- Sa’d al- Husseini and Mohammad kosba.
* Amending some articles of urban planning laws- Sheikh Sayed `Askar.
* Amending the military courts laws- Hussein Ibrahim.
* Amending the articles 126, 129 of the penalties law- Hussein Ibrahim.
3- Monitoring government’s performance:
MB’s bloc used all the mechanisms of monitoring, even they revived some articles of standing orders that have not been used for 25 years, i.e. the age of the standing order itself (issued in 1997), such as discrediting the minister of justice and calling for a meeting with another Arab parliament like the Palestinian parliament with holding a session to discuss the affairs of the parliament.
A- The bloc presented 3498 enquiries and questions out of 7000 offered to the council, according to the secretary general statements, i.e. amount 50% of the enquiries that were presented to the council and it is as following: 3127 enquiries and 317 questions, the total of the examined by the council in the first session was 2275, 1181 enquiries were answered orally according to the Speaker’s report in the final session.
The bloc presented 64 urgent communiqués and 973 proposals to meet the needs of the citizens.
B- The bloc also presented 28 requests for hearings, 9 of them proposed for discussion
First: Hearing requests which have been discussed:
* Environmental pollution in Helwan- Ali Fath al-Bab
* Birds flu pandemic- Hamdy Hasan- Fareed Esma’il.
* Selling Seed medications company- Fareed Ishmael.
* Tushki project- Akram al- Sha’ir.
* Wasting the public money and selling the greatest industrial projects (Omar Effendi) in consideration of the aids that
* Spoiled foods- Akram al- Sha’ir.
* Selling Kafr Al- Dwar’s Company- Mustafa Mohammed- Zakaria al-Ganaini.
Second: Hearing requests which have not been discussed:
* Polluting the River Nile- Azab Mustafa.
* Spreading the corruption- Sa’d Khalifa.
* The death ferry (al-Salam) which drowned in the Red Sea- Hamdi Hassan.
* P olice violations- Hussein Mohammed.
* The infringement of the Ministry of the Interior –Sabry Khalaf.
* The bad security performance and the violations of the interior ministry –Saad al-Husseini.
* Detaining the judges’ supporters and the provoking statements of the Prime Minister- Hamdi Hassan.
* The monopoly over the cement industry and increasing of the price- Sa’d al-Husseini.
* Backing the average of investment- Hamdy Hasan.
* Declining the agreement between
* The statement of the Prime Minister that
* Unemployment- Akram al- Sha’ir- Ibrahim Abu `uof.
Seco Second: MPs practicing their political role:
1- C 1-Cases raised by MB’s bloc:
- * The insulting caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad.
- * Disaster of the ferry.
- * Birds flu pandemic.
- * Supporting the judges.
- * Rejecting the extention of the emergency law.
- * Unlimited authority of the President.
- * Postponement of the local elections.
- * The spoiled babies’ milk.
- * Exposing the corruption of the international endowments.
- * Discrediting the minister of justice due to his interference in the judicial authority.
- * The unemployment.
- * Saving the industrial project.
- * Upgrading the level of health care and reforming health insurance.
- * Passing Kalemnsso ship and protecting the Egyptian environment.
- * Developing the educational services to face the illiteracy.
- * Importing the cancerous herbicides.
- * The spoiled food deals.
- * Suffering in traveling by the train.
2- P 2-Parliamentary memorandums concerning important political issues:
- The bloc presented a lot of memorandums synchronized with the political stances either by issuing a statement or referring a memorandum signed by the bloc’s members and the opposition and independent parties to the Speaker of the council, Such as these memorandums:
- * Rejecting an agreement of combating terrorism.
- * Refusing the law of government concerning the judicial authority.
- * Refusing the continuation of the current local councils and postponement of the local elections.
- * What happening about birds flu plague.
- * Rejecting planning and budget drafts.
- * Calling for stopping Nazief’s statements and dignifying the parliament.
- * Refusing the statement of the government and a memorandum to reply on it.
- * Rejecting the finale account.
- * Refusing the extension of the emergency law.
3- th 3- Vision of the bloc about the constitutional reform:
- As for the MP’s viewpoint about the constitutional reform and social, political and economic conditions, the 88 members of MB offered a memorandum to show the vision of the bloc about the constitutional amendment that included 13 cancellation and 23 amendments in the legislative authority and its relations to other authorities particularly the executive authority by virtue of the parliamentary system that based on executive authority’s dualism, in order not that the President of the state will have separate specifications and decisions without the approval of the ministers and the concerned ministers, who are wholly subject to be questioned by the parliament.
- The amendments included the independence of the judicial authority through a united judiciary system that has the jurisdiction’s right and completely prevent the interference of the executive authority in the issues of the judicial authority; also the amendments included the relation between the President and other authorities.
Third: The active performance of the bloc through inside the committees:
The bloc participated in all 19 council’s committees whereas their achievements in the council were highly distinguished, their attendance was exactly on time and did not separate the sessions of the committees from the sessions of the council regarding the attendance or participating in discussing the issues accurately. The bloc did their best concerning managing dialogues, discussions, receiving the viewpoints of the others and trying to reach the best solutions to achieve the public national interest; the following are some committees that the statement focused on, such as:
A- The health and environment committee:
Participating in reporting the Kalemnso ship, Stopping some factories that pollute the environment, a statement about birds flu pandemic, stopping some spoiled products such as the children milk, referring the corruption of the plasma and vaccine agency and the director of al-Nemro 3 institution to the prosecution, manufacturing Fiagra locally although being politically stopped before, depend on political resolution, Discussing the adjusting and licensing of the medical foundations law, Discussing the physicians cadres and the health ministry’s worker, discussing a draft law about increasing the cigarettes price 10% to support the health ministry, studying how to foster the Egyptian medicine, discussing the complete health insurance , issuing decisions to permit producers of food complete medicine to work in hired factories, allowing those who are afflicted with C virus to make naval passport, participating in the fielding visits to Port Said, Esma’ilia and Damietta to trace the issues of the health and environment.
B- The education and scientific research committee:
Making a report about the education quality’s draft law, participating in the fact finding committees, evaluating the cancer institution in Fakous and the university hospitals like Bab al- Sha’ria and Nassr city, participating in the fielding visits to Al- Shattby hospital, and the disclosure of the gross negligence in the technical schools particularly the print school.
C- Housing committee:
Solving the problems of Sewage and supplying some places with water, discussing the difficult projects like housing of youth, Sewage and obligate the executive bodies to finish its work on time, discussing the draft law of decreasing building license fees, amending the laws concerning the prevention of demolishing buildings that are not about to fall, supporting the utility of water in Sinai in the general budget, stopping the haphazard estimation of the water bill and collecting the fees according to the water abacus, the mechanism of using the building units in the new cities, the draft law of increasing the buildings that were built in the fundamental utilities.
D- The industry and energy committee:
Calling for modernizing the industry, the proposal of borrowing money from Arab banks (Kuwait, Saudi and UAE) and cooperating with Islamic banks such as, Faisal bank and the Islamic bank to finance the projects and investment, modifying the usurious loans system in the industries and projects to the participation system, discussing the fatal effect of privatization, discussing the minister of petroleum about modernizing the mining industry, discussing the minister of electricity about using the nuclear power in generating power.
E- The agriculture and irrigation committee:
Participating in increasing the price of importing the sugarcane to 160 LE per ton, discussing the issue of caring for the wheat’s agriculture, discussing the foot-and-mouth and lumpy skin diseases beside the affect on the animal wealth, capturing some citizens on the lands that the River Nile produced it, the problem of irrigation that doesn’t reach the end of the conduit and cleansing Rasheed straits, the governmental failure to handle birds flu disease and the losses that resulted in, the fielding visits to Luxor, Aswan and Qina, meeting the responsible of the High Dam, knowing the difficulties which the fishermen facing in Aswan and some workers in the sugar factories.
F- The transportation committee:
Preparing the first report about the death ferry disaster and discussing the resumption of the work in the dual road of (Cairo- Asuit) - facilitating the connection of telephones.
G- The foreign and Arab affairs committees:
Condemning the Zionist attack on the
H- Human rights committee:
The fielding visits to the prisons of Esma’ilia, port Said, Borgul- Arab and Alhddara, also to hospitals of Badrasheen and Talbia police station, insisting that the minister of interior must attend before the committee to face him with the violations of his body against supporters of judges and know the facts of the torture inside prisons and going on detention all that is going against the constitution and the law.
I- the culture and media committee:
Adopting positive steps like a children channel and Islamic satellite one, advocating the freedom of opinion and canceling the penalty of prison in the cases of publishing.
J- The economic committee:
Succeeding in making
K- The religious committee:
Refusing the document that Alazhar signed it to allow the evangelism in Egypt, a draft law to increase the public service to the youth, approving some economic protocols between Egypt and House of Alms (Bait al- Zakat) in Kuwait, studying the report of the Central Body for Accounting concerning the domestic committees, readers syndicate and the general syndicate of social professions, discussing demands regarding expelling some workers from the Ministry of Endowment and Azhari girls institutions, discussing the destiny of endowment lands in the agrarian reform, implementing the judicial rules in favor of the Islamic educational committee school in Gharbia, The events of sectarian crisis in Alexandria, modernizing the religious speech, the role of the Ministry of Social Solidarity in facing the calamities, granting 350 thousands Sheikhs, Imams and workers of the Ministry Endowment the health insurance after deprivation lasted for decades.
L- The legislative committee:
They participated with essential amendments in the laws of criminal measures, protection of the consumer, insurance the quality, the general agency to the credit, real register laws, real estate agency and the law 89 of 1998 regarding the bids to the law of establishing a railway agency, facing the law of imprison about published cases, supporting the judiciary club’s view point about passing the law of the judicial authority.
Fourth: MB’s bloc, the Public Opinion and Media:
The bloc showed all the details of parliament cases to the public opinion particularly the rejecting trend of the bloc about violating the public freedom and violating the citizenship rights.
A- Press Conferences:
The bloc held 5 conferences that could remove the media camouflage on their achievements and parliamentary performance as follows:
* A press conference about going on another term for the local elections.
* The expansion of the emergency law.
* The reply to the government’s statement.
* Birds flu disaster.
* The law of government of the judicial authority.
B- Media activities:
The bloc used to write press releases and interviews to express their reform vision and parliamentary performance, the releases amount 352 articles and releases to Arab and foreign local newspapers (national, party and independent), also they made 47 interviews in al-Jazeera, al-Arabia, Dream, Orbit, al-`Alam and al-Hurra channels, beside 163 periodicals through the members premises in the governorates.
C- Media statements:
The bloc issued media statements keeping up with the national and Arab events that show its methodology. All that beside the political statements about the current events (the political role- article 2) such as the statements about the following:
* The security violations after the parliamentary elections.
* The detention of Al-Jazeera’s director during supporting judges.
* Asking the Jordanian government to release the detained 4 members of parliament.
* The arresting of Hassan Al- Haiwan after his acquittal to revenge from the opposition.
* Criticizing the security violations and adopting the independence of judicial authority’s law.
* Warning about a new violation to the judges.
* Describing Dahab incidents as tragic one.
* Condemning the detentions and pledging to combat the emergency law.
* Assassinating media personnel in
* Stopping (Afaq `
* The campaign of detentions during the crisis of judicial authority’s law.
* Supporting the honorable judges.
* Rejecting to receive the Israeli prime minister.
* Charging the interior ministry with the tension inside the country.
* Criticizing the Arab and international weakness against the arrogant Zionism.
* The current events in
* And a statement to the Arab foreign ministers.
Fifth: MB’ bloc and carrying out a public opinion poll on all the posted issues to the parliament:
The bloc carried out a survey to civil community to know the demands of citizens through participating in workshops, conferences and seminars aiming to asking the help from the experts in different fields, and political and intellectual trends, the most important activities were:
A- Conferences and Workshops:
* Two workshops were held jointly with the National Front for Change, Dialogue for
* Two workshops were held jointly with the National Front for Change, Dialogue for Development Center and Media for discussing the constitutional amendments which keep up with the political reform attended by Dr. Yahya al Jamal, Dr. `Atef al Banna, Dr. Hassan Nafi’ah and legal expert `Essam al Islampoli.
*A conferences, in cooperation with the union group(Negad al Bora’i), about the detention pending investigation from the perspective of human rights in the same time of discussing the criminal procedures laws’ amendments concerning the detention pending investigation in the council
* A conference for discussing the report of 2005 parliamentary elections in cooperation with the Sawasiyah Human Rights Center.
B- Solidarity and exploratory visits concerning the demands of elected councils to the judges and journalists syndicate:
* Visiting the judges club in Cairo and Alex, meeting the board of directors members, expressing the solidarity of the bloc with the independence of the judiciary authority, adopting the draft prepared by the club, moreover presenting it to people’s assembly and calling for holding sessions in order to meet the needs of judges in the council.
* Visiting the journalist syndicate, meeting its members, expressing the bloc’s solidarity with the press freedom, meeting the journalists’ demands during the process of discussing the penalties law. The journalists’ chief, Jalal `Aref sent a message to the bloc expressing the syndicate’s gratitude because of their situation regarding the press freedom, expressing and asking them to work hard in order to amend all laws that hinder freedom of opinion and speech.
Sixth: the bloc’s interaction in the International, Regional and parliamentary fields:
* Member Yousri Tu’ailab traveled to
* Attending the international Parliament in Nairobi- Dr. M.S. al-Katatni, the chief of the bloc.
* Hussein Muhammad Ibrahim the deputy chief of the bloc, attending the conference of
(2)- International interactions:
* Explaining the MB experiment in the last parliamentary election by the member Hussein Ibrahim in
* Dr. al-Katatny and Sobhi Saleh attended "the Islamic movement conference and the vision of defaming" on the margin of the third anniversary conference honoring the death of Sheikh Mahfouz Nehnah, islamic leader in Algeria
* Attending Muslims Scholarship conference in Turkey- Sheikh Sayed Askar.
* A live interview on al Mostakela, a satellite channel, with Dr. Saad al-Husseini in
* Attending the preparatory meetings to the Islamic parliamentary forum in Beirut- Hussein Ibrahim and Sa’d al-Husseini.
* Attending the constituent conference to the Islamic parliamentary forum in Turkey- Hussein Ibrahim and Dr. Mohammed al-Beltaji.
* Dr. alKatatny attended the forum of the
* Attending the Economic Islamic Forum in Turkey- Ashraf badrul- Deen.
(3)- Interviews with some international figures:
* Interview with the European commissariat Representative in
* The undersecretary of Norway Embassy.
* The delegation of German Socialist party members.
* The envoy of Kofi Anan, the Secretary General of UN.
* The first secretary of Canada Embassy.
* Meeting with the administrator of
Other Topics: Summary Of MB Performance In Egyptian Parliament Since 2005
Summary Of MB Performance In Egyptian Parliament Since 2005