Egypt Swine flu deaths at 64
|Friday, December 18,2009 15:38|
The Egyptian ministry of health on Wednesday reported a further three deaths as a result of the H1N1 virus, or Swine flu, bring the official total of dead in the country of the flu virus to 64. Abdel Rahman Shahine, the ministry spokesman said that the three new cases were confirmed by the ministry and all precautions are being taken this winter to “ensure safety of Egyptian citizens.”
According to the ministry, a 26-year-old woman, a two-year-old boy and a 14-year-old student were admitted to local hospitals after experiencing symptoms of the virus. Each succumbed to the virus during their hospital stay.
The ministry has said they expect the total number of deaths in the country to reach 100 by the end of December as the winter season is prime to increase the number of cases. They added that those perishing from the virus would continue to rise in the winter months of January and February, but the ministry did say that in March they envision deaths dropping substantially as the weather begins to warm.
Minister Hatem el-Gabaly also said that in the winter months, the virus would become even more aggressive.
To date, Egypt has confirmed over 4,900 cases of the Swine flu. As evidenced by the winter arriving in Egypt, some 1,000 people were confirmed with the Swine flu last week alone, according to a weekly swine flu report from the ministry.