European campaign: Israel threats were the reason for delaying Free Gaza boats
|Monday, June 29,2009 15:22|
The European campaign for ending the siege stated Monday that the Free Gaza boats which were supposed to sail for the Gaza Strip at the end of last week left this morning the Cypriot port of Larnaca, adding that this delay was caused by the Israeli threats to intercept them at sea.
Spokesman for the European campaign Rami Abdo said that the Free Gaza movement notified the ministry of foreign affairs and the ministry of war in Israel that the boats would sail on a humanitarian mission and asked not to intercept them.
Abdo noted that Israel made during the last period a number of threats against Free Gaza, adding that the US embassy and some European consulates in Greece also informed the organizers that the participants in the sea trip to Gaza could face real dangers from Israeli gunboats this time.
He categorically denied what was said that the Cypriot authorities prevented the boats from moving to Gaza, stressing that the Cypriot authorities demonstrated, and still are, cooperation and understanding of the humanitarian goals of the Free Gaza movement.
The spokesman pointed out that the Free Gaza delegation had conducted extensive contacts with Greek officials to prevent Israel from intercepting the boats.
The spokesman affirmed that the next two months would witness a growing momentum of anti-siege events and activities including the largest land convoy organized ever that would be heading from New York to Gaza.
The European campaign for ending the siege is intending to organize events soon throughout the European continent on the first anniversary of the Israeli war on Gaza.