The most recent poll prepared by Dr. Nabil Kukali
|Sunday, February 8,2009 02:24|
The most recent poll prepared by Dr. Nabil Kukali revealed that:
(72.0 %) evaluated their economic situation as "bad".
In the most recent poll prepared by Dr. Nabil Kukali, being conducted during the period January 25th to January 31st 2009 and published by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion (PCPO), a random sample of (673) Palestinian adults (over 18 years old) representing the various demographic specimens in the Palestinian society in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza Strip, were face to face interviewed.
The most important finding of this poll is that the overwhelming majority of the Palestinians, (88.2 %), are for the present in favor of a Palestinian-Israeli truce, specifically (86.1 %) in Gaza Strip and (89.6 %) in the West Bank. Dr. Kukali further commented the outcome of the poll saying that the rate of support for Fateh (40.6 %) among the Palestinians lies now higher than that for Hamas (31.4 %). The rate of Fateh"s popularity in Gaza Strip, established at (42.5 %), lies much higher than that of Hamas on its own terrain, reaching namely the rate of (27.8 %). The same trend has been found in the West Bank, where Fateh scored (39.2 %) of the Palestinians" support, whilst Hamas has to content itself with only (23.7 %).
In addition, Dr. Kukali said that the majority of the Palestinian people, ( 54.1 %), believe that none of the parties involved won the war recently blazed in Gaza. This rate consists of (34.7 %) from Gaza Strip and (66.3 %) from the West Bank. Dr. Kukali pointed out that (56 %) of the residents of Gaza Strip believe that Hamas is navigating the country towards the wrong direction, whilst (48.3 %) of the Palestinians in the West Bank believe that. Regarding the inauguration of the new US-president Barak Obama, (41.7 %) of the Palestinian public have a positive opinion of him as they hope that Mr. Obama will undertake practical and serious measures to achieve peace in the Middle East region.
Dr. Nabil Kukali said the results of the poll where as follows:
01) How would you assess nowadays your attitude or support to Hamas?
02) How would you assess nowadays your attitude or support to Fateh?
03) Do you think, in general, that Hamas is navigating our country in the right or in the wrong direction ?
04) Do you think, in general, that Fateh is navigating our country in the right or in the wrong direction?
05) Who should, in your opinion, be held responsible for the recent war in Gaza?
06) Who, in your opinion, won the war that recently blazed in Gaza Strip?
07) Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way President Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) is handling his job as PA president?
08) What is your attitude to the firing of rockets at present on Israel from Gaza?
09) To which extent do you think the militant resistance has fulfilled its task during the Israeli aggression on Gaza Strip?
10) Do you think, after the war in Gaza … (READ THE LIST) has gained or lost power? How would you assess at present this power?
11) Some people in the West Bank and Gaza Strip were in favor of the participation of Khaled Mish"al and some factions" heads in the Doha"s Summit Conference. Others opposed that. Which of the following opinions is closer to yours?
12) What do you think, after the Gaza war, would be the best solution to the Palestinian people ?
13) I"m going to read to you a list of groups, organizations, institutions or individuals. Please tell me for each group, organization, institution or individual I read whether you have a very favorable opinion, a somewhat favorable opinion, a somewhat unfavorable opinion or a very unfavorable opinion.
14) Are you in favor of deploying multinational (UN) forces in Gaza Strip, or not? (READ 1-4).
15) Please mention the name of the Palestinian organization, party, movement or faction you are in favor of / or consider yourself on of its supporter .OPEN QUESTION.
16) If, with the consent of all political powers and parties, new presidential elections would be conducted. For whom would you vote to be the President of the Palestinian Authority ?
17) What is your attitude towards a Palestinian-Israeli cease-fire at present? (READ 1-4)
18) Do you strongly favor, somewhat favor, somewhat oppose or strongly oppose peace negotiations between the Palestinians and the Israelis?
19) Who, do you think, is the best party to bear the responsibility for the reconstruction of Gaza Strip? (READ 1-2).
20) In view of the political and economic situations prevailing nowadays in the Palestinian Territories, are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future? (READ 1-2).
21) How would you assess the general economic situation in the Palestinian Territories?
22) Up to which extent are you worried at present about the subsistence of your family?
23) What is your main concern at present?
24) Given an assessment scale from (1) to (10), where (1) stands for "very much dissatisfied" and (10) for "very much satisfied", how would you assess your satisfaction or dissatisfaction, in general, with the life you"re living?
Answer from (1) to (10): The outcome was in average: 3.61
25) Now think of the future, and particularly when your children become in your age. Do you think there would be peace between Israelis and Palestinians? (READ 1-5).
Methodology of the Survey Study:
Mr. Elias Kukali, a staff member of the Research and Studies" Section at the PCPO, said that all interviews of this survey were conducted inside the respondents" homes, i.e. face-to-face during different working hours, at least 5 hours a day, including the evening time, in order to ensure proper representation of those sub-groups of the population, which would otherwise be difficult to reach and selecting one individual in each household using Last Birthday Method. The choices were taken from a total of (150 election sites, from which (110 sites are located in West Bank and (40) sites in Gaza Strip according to the distribution of the Central Election Commission. These election sites were randomly chosen by using the method of the simple random sample. These in turn were the beginning of the random sample choice made from those regions in accordance with PCPO"s long experienced methodology.